When preparing to sell your home, I firmly believe that we need to have a plan. Our plans apply to everything we do in our lives. It is easy to navigate when we know what our next step is.
- Analyze why you are selling - If you understand your motives, you will be able to negotiate better and get what you want, whether it be a quick sale, a high price, or somewhere in the middle.
- Prepare your home for the buyer - Maximize the strengths of your property and fix up its weaknesses. You want the buyer to walk away from your home with an excellent lasting impression.
- Find a good real estate agent that understands your needs - Make sure that your agent is loyal to you and can negotiate to help you achieve your goals. In addition, they should be assertive and honest with both you and the buyer.
- Be prepared for negotiation - Learn and understand your buyer’s situation; what are their motives? Can you demand a big deposit from them? Try to lock in the buyer so that the deal goes through.
- Negotiate for the best price and terms - Learn how to counter offer to get maximum value from every request.
- Make sure the contract is accurate and complete - Be honest with your disclosures; you do not want to lose the deal because you were lying or diminishing your home’s defects. Insist the buyers get a professional inspection. This will protect both you and the buyer.